#3 Wolfpack Start Season with a Bang

Diquan Payton, Staff Writer

WESSON – The Copiah-Lincoln Wolfpack sped out to a big lead early at home to put away the Itawamba Indians 37-13 Thursday night in Wesson.

The rout began in the first quarter with 2 rushing touchdowns from running back De’Lance Turner, but the second quarter is where things really got interesting.

Sophomore quarterback Daniel Fitzwater and freshman receiver Donald Gray Jr. connected on two touchdowns, one of which was a blazing scamper by Gray, as he shook off two defenders and dragged a third into the endzone with him as he scored on a 65-yard reception, putting the Wolfpack up 30-3 and causing the home crowd to erupt in chants and cheers. Gray finished with 183 yards and 3 touchdowns on 7 receptions, and Fitzwater completed 26-36 of his passes to finish with 400 yards.

But the game was far from over, as the Indians would continue to fight to the last man, coming up with a late 51-yard touchdown reception and field goal.

The Co-Lin defense came up with key turnovers in the second half, one of which was an interception by freshman defensive back DyCelious Reese, which was returned 24 yards.

The Wolfpack return to action this Thursday as they take on the #1 ranked East Mississippi Lions in Scooba.