College Football Playoff

Diquan Payton, Sports Writer

For those of you who haven’t heard the news, the first year of the new College Football Playoff is about to end, formally starting a new era in college football. With this new implementation of a playoff, there have been a few upsets along the way. Oregon defeated Florida State 59-20 in the Vizio Rose Bowl, in a game that Oregon controlled almost the entire way, led by 2014 Heisman Trophy winner, quarterback Marcus Mariota. Mariota is the first player in the Ducks’ history to take home the hardware. The loss ended FSU’s 29-game winning streak, and was FSU quarterback Jameis Winston’s first loss of his college career. On the other end of the spectrum, Ohio State won a hard-fought victory over the Alabama Crimson Tide in the All-State Sugar Bowl. After coming back from a 21-20 deficit in the first half, the Buckeyes would begin to hit their stride, scoring early and often as they outscored the Tide 22-14 in the second half. OSU clinched the win on a spectacular 85-yard scamper from sophomore back Ezekiel Elliott, who would win the game’s offensive MVP award with 230 rushing yards and 2 TDs. So on January 12th, in Arlington, Texas, the two top teams in the land will face off for all the marbles. Two top offenses, two playmaking defenses, one game. Oregon vs. Ohio State. Who’s your pick?