Nail-Biters Lead to Home Wins for Wolves, Lady Wolves

Diquan Payton, Sports Writer

WESSON- In home action Monday, both the Wolves and Lady Wolves basketball squads would be tested to the buzzer, in some of the most exciting games in recent memory. In the opening game, the Lady Wolves were playing for the division crown against the East Central Lady Warriors. Co-Lin would go from holding a 39-32 lead in the first half to being down by 7 with 3:00 left in the game. Freshman forward Kelley Allen would begin the comeback for the Lady Wolves, making two free throws and coming up with a steal and layup with 35 seconds left to cut the Warriors lead to 75-72. Sophomore Toni Woods would make two more free throws along with Claresa Banks to send the game into overtime. The score would be tied four times in the second overtime before two free throws by Banks with 1:02 remaining ended up being the game-winning score.

In the second game, the Wolves would win their third straight home game in a tight game against East Central. Co-Lin led once in the first half, 5-4, and saw East Central build an 11-point lead with 9:33 until halftime. The key moment of the game came late in the second half when East Central coach, Robert Thompson, was hit with a technical foul. Terry Morris of Co-Lin would make both technical free throws, and Donte Watson would grab an offensive rebound to cut the lead to 58-55, with only four seconds ticking off the clock. Co-Lin would close the game on a 10-2 run, highlighted by two free throws by Watson that would win the game.