NFL Rookies

Ryan Purser, Writer

This year’s phase of rookies in the NFL have been nothing short of amazing.  We’ve seen the legendary college running back, Leonard Fournette, who is now a member of the Jacksonville Jaguars, go on a tear against some of the best defensive linemen in the NFL.  The electrifying Clemson Tiger, Deshaun Watson, who is now taking the reins of quarterback for the Houston Texans, lead the NFL in passing touchdowns.  These two are top picks in the running for Rookie of the Year.

Throughout Leonard’s career at LSU, he put up incredible numbers.  His freshman year, he rushed for 1,034 yards with 10 touchdowns.  His sophomore year was his best, putting up 1,953 rushing yards with 22 touchdowns.  Unfortunately, he had an ankle injury that kept him out for majority of the season his senior year. When he came back, however, he came back with a vengeance, putting up 843 rushing yards and 15 touchdowns. He has brought that same intensity to the NFL putting up 596 rushing yards averaging 4.6 YPC with 6 rushing touchdowns.

Deshaun Watson had a tremendous college career, including taking down the number one team in the nation, Alabama, in the 2016 BCS national championship.  His freshman campaign was very impressive, putting up 1,466 passing yards with 14 touchdowns, to 2 interceptions along with 200 rushing yards with 5 touchdowns.  He took it a step further his sophomore season putting up 4,109 passing yards with 35 touchdowns, to only 13 interceptions along with 1,105 rushing yards and 12 rushing touchdowns.  His senior year was his best year passing the football by far with 4,593 passing yards with 41 passing touchdowns, to 17 interceptions along with 629 rushing yards and 9 rushing touchdowns.  Deshaun has shown he can play the quarterback position at the highest level putting up 1,297 passing yards with 15 touchdowns to 5 interceptions, along with 202 rushing yards and 2 rushing touchdowns.

Both of these guys have been having exceptionally well rookie seasons, but which one will be the NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Year?